We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is growing it’s Dublin operations as it faces the challenges of a rapidly expanding company, and we are looking for a self-motivated and customer-focused engineer to join our small Dublin team.
The Loyalty & Gift Card team is looking for a senior engineer who has the ability and drive to make an impact, not only on their own but by also enabling those around them to succeed. You will be responsible for the evolution and support of our Loyalty & Gift Card product across our native Android application, web front end and supporting back end services. You’ll also be tasked with building scalable, reliable and high quality features with the goal of creating a smooth and delightful experience for restaurant staff and their guests.
If you want to help create something tangible that is used every day, help small businesses achieve their vision, and take on the challenge of scaling a SaaS product from millions of users to hundreds of millions of users, Toast is the place for you.
As a senior engineer on the Loyalty & Gift Card team, some of the projects you’ll be working include:
- Improving resilience and data consistency in a highly distributed asynchronous system.
- Creating tools & processes to help operators run their restaurant efficiently.
- Creating new ways for guests to interact with our loyalty program across web, app & in stores.
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Strong experience with Java or another object-oriented language, with a deep understanding of testing, quality & best practices.
- An interest in functional programming, such as Kotlin, Java 8 Lambdas, Scala etc.
- The ability to take complex business problems, and create easy to use solutions at scale.
- Experience supporting and debugging a large multi threaded application.
- The capacity to tackle complex and ambiguous problems, communicate clearly with others to solve the problem, and share knowledge to help the whole team succeed.
- Proficiency in delivering projects to customers under strict deadlines.
- Prior experience making an impact on a previous project, product or within an organization.
- Exposure to distributed systems, scaling challenges, SaaS, SQL, JS, RabbitMQ, and Android are a plus.
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.