We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is growing it’s Dublin operations as it faces the challenges of a rapidly expanding company, and we are looking for a self-motivated and customer-focused front end engineer to join our Dublin Consumer team.
We are looking for an engineer to help build modern, intuitive UIs that give customers a delightful first experience with Toast, and drive our front end architecture and patterns forward. Someone who can help us grow and scale a modern front-end stack while contributing to the development of features and infrastructure. You will be responsible for the evolution and support of our consumer products across our native Android application and web front end. You’ll also be tasked with helping build scalable, reliable and high quality features with the goal of creating a smooth and delightful experience for restaurant staff and their guests.
If you want to help create something tangible that is used every day, help small businesses achieve their vision, and take on the challenge of scaling a SaaS product from millions of users to hundreds of millions of users, Toast is the place for you.
Some projects the consumer team have recently been working on include:
- Building a self serve kiosk that allows restaurant customers to place their own orders
- Improving resilience and data consistency in a highly distributed asynchronous system.
- Creating tools to help operators run their restaurant efficiently.
- Creating new ways for guests to interact with our consumer products across web, app & in stores.
As a Front End Engineer on the consumer team, you will
- Write code that ships to production, and makes an impact on web and Android platforms
- Be part of a team working with UX, PM, QA and other engineers building products
- Define best practices and help choose technologies to evolve our current front-end stack while writing world-class applications
- Mentor other engineers to be effective on the front-end stack
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Someone with a few years of experience as either:
- A front end web developer that understands modern web standards and technologies (ES6, HTML5, React, Angular, for example), and can apply them to build fully responsive webpages, beyond pixel-perfect versions of comps
- An Android developer that has experience with Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Enjoys learning new technologies and continually improving your abilities
- Appreciates building usable, accessible and well engineered systems, while balancing getting things done with making things perfect
- Communicates clearly up, down and across teams
- Likes to get involved in deciding what gets built to help the customer and the company
- Has a strong desire to make an impact, and the ability to be autonomous when executing your work.
- Has the capacity to understand a problem, communicate clearly with others to solve the problem, and share knowledge to help the whole team succeed.
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is being built primarily using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.