What is Homes at Airbnb?
Whenever anyone thinks of Airbnb, the first thing that comes to mind is Homes. Homes is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Guest and Host experience to launching new initiatives from the ground up. Within Homes engineering, you can have significant impact on a wide range of Airbnb products and users. Whether you are working on one of our big bets such as guest loyalty or personalization, improving our tools for guests and hosts around the world, or working on a new business such as Airbnb for Work or Airbnb Plus, you will be on a small team designed to maximize your ability to deliver results. If you are motivated by how much visibility your work has, how much it impacts the company's bottom line, how many users see your work, or how it will impact your career growth, Homes is a great place to launch your Airbnb career.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Frontend at Airbnb?
Frontend Engineers are an essential part of Airbnb's Product Team. FEs work closely with world class product managers, designers, and data scientists. We rely and (and build on!) cutting edge tooling such as Apollo/GraphQL and deliver a strongly-typed UI using TypeScript. We build libraries and abstractions to make our lives easier, such as Design Language System (DLS), our front-end toolkit, which helps ensure our product looks and works great everywhere from a Cinema Display with a fiber connection down to a cheap phone with a shaky 3G connection.
- Airbnb Page Builder (aka Magic Doorway): Create, ship and update high performance, responsive, fully localized pages completely through a page builder UI. Never again spend time on boilerplate code or procrastinate on shipping minor content changes when you or your content/design/PM teammates can update pages on the fly. We're continuing to improvement the builder and component library so you'll always stay up to date with the latest designs, get user metrics out of the box, easily ship A:B tests, and more such as speed improvements to bring load times as close to zero as possible.
- Hyperloop: Our new server rendering engine, Hyperloop, is ready to roll out, and Homes will have priority access. This is a killer opportunity to build greenfield apps on the frontend that complement our emerging SOA strategy on the backend. This means sitting next to some of the best designers in the world, feeling totally unconstrained by tooling, building world class product
- Building for High Performance (in progress): Homes is leading the way at Airbnb, building a modern Frontend with portfolio of page load techniques, including service worker, the new "Arrive" framework (server render React but don't load React on the client!), client routing with innovative lazy loading strategies. We are right at the point where we have the core infrastructure in place but haven't solved the tricky and interesting product side of the coin.
- 2+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Fluency in HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Drive the future of Frontend products in the industry and create world class performance for all of Airbnb’s products
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Experience Designers to iterate on the design and implementation of our product
- Work with Data Scientists and Backend Engineers to build features and ship experiments
- Build efficient and reusable front-end systems and abstractions
- Find and address performance issues
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Identify and communicate front-end best practices
- Rearchitecting Airbnb’s Frontend
- TechTalk: GraphQL and Appollo at Airbnb
- Operationalizing Node.js for Server Side Rendering
- Reconciling GraphQL and Thrift at Airbnb
- Moving Airbnb Search to React
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.