Software Engineer, Search Relevance
About the Position
Airbnb’s Search Relevance team builds the matching engine of Airbnb’s core product. Our charter is to help our guests find the perfect home in our diverse inventory, to optimize these matches for the health of our marketplace, and to power a personalized search experience.
If you’re interested in helping millions of Airbnb guests and hosts connect around the world, and have a passion for data, algorithms, and machine learning, Search Relevance is the team for you.
Challenges we're excited about tackling:
- Evolving how we express a guest’s search journey as an optimization problem.
- Personalizing search results to each guest.
- Analyzing and modeling Airbnb’s complex Search to Booking flow.
- Optimizing for a diverse set of marketplace outcomes, including the number of bookings, the review rating of those bookings, and the distribution of demand across our inventory.
- Understanding our inventory by deriving meaningful information from unstructured data such as reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace.
- Empowering our users with data-informed experiences throughout the search product.
We are looking for engineers with:
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Ability to write high performance production quality code. Experience in Java, C++, Python, Scala or similar languages is a plus.
- Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end algorithmic or machine learning systems.
- Good understanding of data processing algorithms and/or common families of machine learned models. Effective at feature engineering and data analysis.
- Experience with MapReduce, Hadoop, Spark, or TensorFlow is a plus.
Learn more about some of the projects we’ve worked on:
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...