Software Engineer (backend) | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
Acorns is looking for a highly-motivated, detail-oriented, and driven Software Engineer. At Acorns, you will be involved in all aspects of the software development life cycle including new feature development, bug fixes, testing and maintenance of the Acorns applications. We want you to bring your passion for software craftsmanship, testing, and complete ownership of the products you build - helping us continue making our award winning apps and services the best they can be.
This position is located in our Portland office.
- Architect, design, and code new features and enhancements of a complex financial platform
- Participate in setting standards and best practices for a growing engineering organization
- Provide insight into backend development best practices; Drive decisions around framework and tool choices
- Build efficient and reusable backend abstractions and systems; Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Monitor, identify, and squash performance bottlenecks
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders across the organization to produce a coherent product
- BS in Computer Science or related field or 3+ years of professional software experience
- 3+ years of backend programming experience (Scala, Java, Python, etc)
- Experience building/optimizing SQL queries
- Object oriented fundamentals (OOA, OOP, OOD)
- Experience with Scala and/or Node.js
- Experience with Postgres
- Experience with Test Driven Development and evangelistic about testing
- Experience writing algorithms
- Financial Institution/FinTech experience
- Contribution to Open Source project(s)
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Corporate gym access
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.