Android Developer | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
Acorns is seeking a talented Android Developer that is passionate about Android, Java, and Kotlin and thrives on solving complex engineering problems with simple, elegant solutions.
As an Android developer, your typical week will involve collaborating with product and other engineering teams such as iOS, frontend, backend, and QA to plan and build out of new features and infrastructure to build reliable and cohesive financial products. You will primarily work in Kotlin and Java.
You are not expected to have experience with both Kotlin and Java. We're looking for experienced engineers that love learning new technologies on the job, think creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself and work with the various teams here from backend, QA, compliance, securities and more.
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
- Get your first project into the Play Store and learn about our development processes.
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Improve Android codebase by developing a performant and maintainable Android application.
- Elevate the Android application architecture to increase developer velocity and drive growth through Acorns’ mobile applications.
- Provide insight into Android application development best practices; Support decisions around framework and tool choices.
- Build efficient and reusable Android abstractions; Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization.
- Built products that are being used daily by our millions of users.
- Be someone other team members go to for advice or questions on services you helped build.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 3+ years of professional software experience or BS in Computer Science or related field
- 2+ years experience developing native Android applications
- Have at least one app published in the Google Play Store that you built yourself or contributed to
- Knowledge of the Android SDK performance tools and optimization techniques.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Java, Go, Scala
- Experience working as part of an agile software development team including interaction with a source code repository (GitHub or SVN)
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects with demanding deadlines in a team environment
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Corporate gym access
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
2. Make bold decisions
3. Always build trust
4. Never stop growing
5. Advance our society