Engineering Manager | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
Acorns is seeking a Engineering Manager to lead the Acorns engineering team in Portland, OR.
As an Engineering Manager at Acorns you know what it takes to build and scale extraordinary software, and have demonstrated that experience time and time again on all aspects of the software development lifecycle.
Your experience in technology, including multiple software stacks, databases, and operational tools allows you to apply the right tool for the right job. You’re product and customer focused, and can easily communicate with all areas of the business because you flourish working in a rapidly changing environment and delighting customers.
You love recruiting, mentoring and developing a premier team of engineers, instilling and fostering an inspirational culture by setting the highest standards and promotes working hard as a team to reach them. You’re a great teammate, committed to learning, developing the team, and themselves.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself to your team and work with the various teams here from mobile, QA, compliance, securities and more.
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
- Setup one on ones with your immediate team.
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Have worked with your team to launch a project by working with different people throughout the organization to scope, time, and build.
- Understand each of your team members long term goals and aspirations and helping to create plans for them to achieve those goals.
- Interviewed, hired, and onboarded new team members.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization.
- Have helped improve the hiring process finding additional methods to make it more inclusive and diverse and bring in the best talent in engineering and out.
- Be someone other team members go to for advice or questions on a regular basis.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- Leader capable of running a team and coordinating across other business and technology teams.
- Embraces and has experience with Agile product development methodology
- Exceptional technologist: goes beyond people and process management to enable key technological choices across the team and beyond. Willing to get into the weeds to drive clarity and resolution.
- Strong written and presentation skills. Excellent interpersonal and intrapersonal skills. Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience using Cloud infrastructure to deploy highly scalable solutions.
- 3+ years of experience developing large scale, customer-facing websites and mobile applications.
- 1+ years of experience managing engineering teams leveraging lean/agile methodologies.
- Masters / Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.