Director of Engineering | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience-—one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
Acorns is seeking a Director of Engineering to lead the Acorns engineering team in New York City. You will build and lead the technology teams in our New York office, working hand-in-hand with our Chief Education Officer to execute on our mission by delivering a unique, world-class financial education experience to current and potential users.
We are looking for someone who:
- Knows what it takes to build and scale extraordinary software, and has demonstrated that experience time and time again on all aspects of the software development lifecycle.
- Is product and customer focused, and can easily communicate with all areas of the business.
- Can drive teams in complex environments, with the ability to bring both technical and leadership expertise to bear on difficult problems.
- Can recruit, mentor and develop a premier team of engineers, instilling and fostering an inspirational culture.
- Brings experience across many different technologies, including multiple software stacks, databases, and operational tools. Uses this experience to apply the right tool to the right job.
- Flourishes working in a rapidly changing environment and delighting customers.
- Great teammate, committed to learning, developing the team, and themselves.
- Sets the highest standards and promotes working hard as a team to reach them.
- Masters / Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience developing large-scale, customer-facing websites and mobile applications.
- 3+ years of experience managing engineering teams leveraging lean/agile methodologies.
- Strong leader capable of running a team and coordinating across other business and technology teams.
- Consistent track record of attracting, developing, and cultivating talent within his or her team, with a passion for diverse teams.
- Embraces and has experience with Agile product development methodology.
- Exceptional technologist: goes beyond people and process management to enable key technological choices across the team and beyond. Willing to get into the weeds to drive clarity and resolution.
- Proven technology leadership. Strong written and presentation skills. Excellent interpersonal and intrapersonal skills. Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience using Cloud infrastructure to deploy highly scalable solutions.
- Nice to have: experience with an educational or editorial content publisher.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks and beverages
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.