VP of Engineering | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
Acorns is seeking a VP of Engineering to lead and scale our engineering organization.
This position will report to the CTO.
- Deliver large, complex projects; Manage and structure the engineering teams for delivering high quality solutions in a fast paced environment.
- Engage with business leaders, product owners and other stakeholders to understand business needs and translate them into executable solutions.
- Work alongside and collaborate with product, engineering, and partner teams to deliver products, features, services, and tools.
- Drive rapid prototyping cycles from technical requirements, software designs, programming, debugging, and optimization.
- Work collaboratively across team boundaries to share common infrastructure and functional capabilities.
- Hire, mentor and develop a world-class team of engineers, instilling and fostering a high-performance culture.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the engineering and management teams.
- Strong leader capable of running a large team and in managing senior interfaces across the business and technology org.
- Proven record of acquiring, developing, and cultivating talent within his or her organization, with a commitment to diversity.
- Embraces and has experience with Agile product development methodology
- Exceptional technologist: goes beyond people and process management to enable key technological choices across the team and beyond. Willing to get into the weeds to drive clarity and resolution.
- Proven technology leadership, time and time again. Superb written and presentation skills. Excellent interpersonal and intrapersonal skills. Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- 5+ years of experience developing large scale, customer-facing websites and mobile applications.
- Experience using Cloud infrastructure to deploy highly scalable solutions.
- 5+ years of experience managing engineering organizations leveraging lean/agile methodologies.
- 5+ years of primary responsibility for Platform Architecture and Application Design.
- 7+ years of hands-on, coding experience with the many of the following technologies: Ruby, Scala, ReactJS, Kafka, Postgres
- Masters / Bachelors degree required in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Equivalent Experience
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Corporate gym access
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.