Software Engineer (Backend) | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
Acorns is seeking a backend software engineer who has a passion for building robust, scalable, software and systems for customer focused financial products.
Software engineers are responsible for translating high-level business requirements for new Acorns products and features into the services and data models that power them. They think critically about how to architect and build new components in a performant and scalable manner. As a backend software engineer, your typical week will involve collaborating with product and other engineering teams such as mobile, frontend, and QA to plan and create new features and infrastructure to build reliable and cohesive financial products. We're looking for experienced engineers that love learning new technologies on the job, think creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Have the support of Acorns top engineering talent to learn how we do craftsmanship at Acorns
- Contribute to the team by owning issues and developing solutions to those issues
- Give back to the team by participating in peer reviews
- Deploy your code in production to millions of Acorns users
Within 6 months, you will:
- Take full ownership of at least one feature, from requirements to implementation
- Identify areas for improvement and drive your vision for Acorns technology forward
- Contribute to and evangelize Acorns engineering culture
Within 12 months, you will:
- Lead projects that involve cross-functional teams to build major new features.
- Define career path opportunities for the engineering team so that all engineers see paths for development.
- Help engineers identify the best direction for their growth and then coach them along their chosen path.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- BS or MS in Computer Science, EE or equivalent experience
- Passion for self improvement and learning
- Ownership of the software you produce
- 1+ years of programming in a functional or object oriented language
- Understanding of design patterns
- Understanding of basic algorithms and data structures
- Understanding of working in an Agile Environment
- The ability to embody all of Acorns values: lead with heart, make bold decisions, always build trust, never stop growing, advance our society.
- A fresh vision for our technology roadmap.
- Experience building/optimizing SQL queries
- Experience building Node.js applications
- Knowledge of CD best practices
- Experience coaching and mentoring other engineers
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Corporate gym access
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
2. Make bold decisions
3. Always build trust
4. Never stop growing
5. Advance our society