Ably is a global realtime data delivery platform that powers low-latency communication between internet-enabled devices. We solve the hardest parts of delivering the service reliably at scale so developers don’t have to.
At its core, we provide a transport for developers to deliver realtime applications, notifications, data syndication, and synchronization at Internet-scale. Our product is offered as a multi-tenanted, globally distributed, elastic, and completely redundant platform-as-a-service.
The Ably platform is a second generation realtime platform, built from the ground up over more than three years to uniquely solve realtime problems of the future, at scale. These problems include being protocol agnostic, guaranteed message delivery and reliable ordering, massive fan-out or fan-in, and service continuity during network outages and data centre failures. We're delivering billions of messages to millions of devices for global companies like Yahoo, Computer Associates and Offerup. We're excited by the fact we're only getting started; we're growing quickly and on course to soon deliver trillions of messages.
We have a developer-first mindset in everything we do. We hide the complexity of our distributed interoperable platform and package it up for developers as a service with a simple API, great documentation and pro-active support.
We're looking to grow our team with great like-minded people.
Our technology stack:
- Ruby on Rails for our web services, e-commerce, service status and other customer facing websites.
- Go and Ruby for infrastructure services, and Ruby for infrastructure automation and orchestration.
- Node.js, Elixir and Go for our realtime services. Some lower level native code where necessary.
- Cassandra, Postgres, InfluxDB and ElasticSearch used for data storage.
- Highly distributed, self-healing, autoscaling systems built upon a huge array of AWS services.
- Ably client libraries to use our service in all popular languages.
You'll be working alongside our product evangelists and a deeply technical engineering team who collectively bring a wealth of experience and broad technology skills. The calibre of the code we produce in all teams is what excites and motivates us each day. Our team is made up of a large remote contingent, however our base is in London and growing. We are strong believers in face-to-face communication where possible. Whilst this is a remote working role, being able to practically travel to London occasionally is highly preferable and working on a similar time zone is a must.
Day to day you can expect to be working on:
- Full stack development of the website at www.ably.io which is comprised of the marketing site, the e-commerce engine, the realtime platform dashboards and the internal admin areas. The site makes extensive use of a service layer, custom Gems for our documentation and service provisioning, EventMachine for the IO dependent concurrent requests, some Angular and sensible use of popular design patterns where applicable.
- Refining, extending and improving our test coverage across all our web services and sites. We love test-driven development when it makes sense, we believe in testing every layer from unit tests up to acceptance tests, and we're always looking to find efficient ways to improve test coverage yet reduce time maintaining test suites.
- Participating in code reviews.
- Development and ongoing maintenance of our other web assets such as our status and incident management site.
- Working alongside the engineers of the realtime platform to deliver new features in the dashboard, documentation and examples.
- Diagnosing and fixing bugs in our website services.
- Be responsible for the complete lifecycle of your features and code i.e. pull request, reviews, testing, deploy to staging environments, then into production environments with ownership of any issues that arise. We are strong believers in all developers being involved in the system operations as well.
- Contributing to open source projects that we support or use in our products. All of our client libraries are open source as well and may require your support at times, including the Ruby Realtime and Rest libraries.
- Helping customers solve problems they are experiencing that may help us find bugs in the platform.
- Support the wider team in regards to documentation and customer support.
- Suggestions for new features or improvements to our protocol and API specifications.
- Salary range: €40k to €65k.
- Holidays: 25+ days excluding national holidays.
- Benefit from a truly flexible working environment in which remote working and managing your own working time is the norm.
- Work in an environment where code quality, technical challenges and delivery is what we all care about.
- Skills development is intrinsic in the job. We're largely working on unsolved problems each day, and such, there is plenty of scope to widen your knowledge and skillset.
- Work with genuinely nice people who care.
- Pragmatic: A problem solver excited by the prospect of working autonomously solve problems and bring solutions to the team.
- Fast Learner: We’re looking for software engineers who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies.
- Testing: Experience using testing frameworks and adoption of test driven development where applicable.
- Infrastructure: Experience with infrastructure and distributed systems is beneficial.
- Communication: We use tools such as Slack throughout the day to communicate, however we believe in voice conversations to discuss and solve problems. You must be proficient in spoken and written English, be eager to collaborate with the engineering team and constructively welcome code reviews.
- Customers: Comfortable talking to customers and assisting them with their technical issues and integration.
- Open source: We prefer developers who have contributed back to the open source community, even if those contributions are small.
**** NO AGENCIES PLEASE ****