You will work closely with artists and designers to make our games the best products they can be. You will design services used by a large number of concurrent users, and implement scalable, reliable and maintainable technologies for both client and server. You will have a major impact on the end product and see millions of people using what you create.
Engineers at ATA are involved in all aspects of the products we create. You will have the ability to influence the design and development of nearly everything that we build. You will be provided with challenging work to continuously improve and grow as we believe strongly in the continuous growth level of the human brain. Though we are language agnostic in our interview process some of the technologies we use include: Django (Python), Unity (C#), Java, and Objective-C.
Things You Will Work On:
- Building new features in our games
- Scaling our back-end systems to support millions of players
- Using player-metrics to make decisions and improve the games
Who You Are:
- You have an itch to make something people want and enjoy working on massive scale technical problems that reach a huge audience
- You communicate your thoughts and ideas clearly in code and in writing
- You have a solid knowledge and understanding of mobile application architecture
Tell Us if You:
- Have worked on any cool side projects, games, open source projects, or anything else - show us what you've built!
- Have participated (or placed in) any programming competitions
- Have participated in (or won!) any hackathons
- Have any experience working with Unity
While All our Apes are Different, to Thrive Here You Should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games startup with big ambitions. We are a team of 60 people, though sometimes we call ourselves apes 🦍 + 1-3 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars are our favourite 🌮, but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating games that become a part of our player’s lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give them the freedom to do their best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape meetings, mid-quarter updates with our Directors, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular one-on-ones with your team lead.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. Listen to co-founder Kenshi Arasaki talk about what it’s like to work here.
Check out the game!