Engineers at A Thinking Ape are involved in all aspects of the products we create. You will have the ability to influence the design and development of the projects you are working on. We don’t hire for specific skill sets or technologies. We want technical generalists: scientists at heart and engineers at work. You will be provided with challenging work to continuously improve and grow. Though we are language agnostic in our interview process, some of the technologies we use at here are: Python 🐍,, Objective-C, Java, Unity.
All of our co-ops are provided with the same opportunities as our full time engineers. We value a culture of meritocracy, and everything you do here will have a direct impact on our products. At the end of your term, you'll be able to install an app on your phone, and point out the cool things you made happen 📲 .
Areas of work that co-ops have opportunities to contribute to:
- Client development: developing iOS and Android products from scratch and shipping worldwide featured products to the App Store
- Distributed systems: constructing applications using service oriented architectures that power our live gaming products
- Analytics: creating data visualizations and tools to help drive key product decisions and customer acquisition strategy
- Data mining: building a continuous real-time data collection and mining platform for player behaviour intelligence
Who You Are:
- You communicate your thoughts and ideas clearly in code and in writing
- You have strong algorithmic and problem solving skills
- You are an enthusiastic learner
- You take pride and responsibility in your work
- You are not afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What to Include in Your Application:
- Yes, we do need your resume 😊
- Link us to things you’ve built! - show us what you made (side projects, open source projects, hackathons)
- Tell us about any competitions you’ve participated in
Things that don't matter as much:
- Knowledge of specific languages or domain expertise in particular platforms
- Mobile development experience
- Specific year level
A Thinking Ape is a growing independent mobile games startup with big ambitions. We are a team of 70 people (though sometimes we call ourselves apes 🦍 ) + 1-3 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day) and growing, who just moved into a new office in the heart of downtown Vancouver. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together (so far taco bars are our favourite 🌮).
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our staff and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways. However, building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give them the freedom to do their best work.
Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and flexible work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape meetings, Ask Me Anything with our team leads, Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular one-on-ones with your team lead.
If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today and learn about our culture by following #thisisata. Listen to co-founder Kenshi Arasaki talk about what it’s like to work here.