You will help us grow the application of machine learning systems within all of our games. This includes integrating machine learning into our games, improving existing models and identifying new areas it can be applied.
You’ll be working on our data/growth team, also known as Team Narwhal (all our teams are named after sea creatures 🐠). You will join a group of talented engineers and data scientists just scraping the surface of how we can implement machine learning within our games. You will have the opportunity to shape this function within the organization and contribute directly to the growth of our games and player experience.
Things You Will Work On:
- Collaborating with our team of talented engineers and data scientists to integrate machine learning features into our products
- Improving our existing machine learning models
- Identifying opportunities to apply machine learning to our products
- Prototyping and iterating machine learning algorithms for various problems
- Conducting online or offline tests to validate prototypes and solutions
Who You Are:
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals in algorithms and data structures
- You have a solid understanding of statistical modelling and machine learning
- You have experience applying machine learning libraries in previous projects
- You have experience working with large scale code bases
- You have SQL and relational database skills
- You are an excellent communicator in both written and oral forms
Tell Us if You:
- Have industry software engineering experience
- Have experience building end-to-end machine learning systems.
- Have experience working with big data (Hadoop, MapReduce, BigQuery, AWS, Kafka, etc)
- Hold a BSc., MSc., or Ph.D. in Statistics, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent
- Have contributed to any open source projects
While All our Apes are Different, to Thrive Here You Should:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
A Thinking Ape is an independent mobile games startup with big ambitions. We are a team of 60 people, though sometimes we call ourselves apes 🦍 + 1-3 dogs 🐶 (depending on the day), growing in the heart of downtown Vancouver. On Wednesdays we all eat catered lunch together. So far taco bars are our favourite 🌮 , but we're open to new suggestions.
Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: both our team and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating games that become a part of our player’s lives. But building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give them the freedom to do their best work.
We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape meetings, mid-quarter updates with our Directors, monthly Ask a Founder Fridays, and regular one-on-ones with your team lead.
Looking for more information? Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today and learn about our culture by following #thisisata on social. Listen to co-founder Kenshi Arasaki talk about what it’s like to work here.
We value passion and diversity and believe that our differences make us better as a collective. If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!