At its core, 500px is a community of passionate photographers. As a company, our mission is to build a platform that enables and rewards that community’s visual creativity. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find, share, and get rewarded for the world’s most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we ship and love what we do. Our engineering culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, and getting stuff done.
Our technology stack includes: Python, Ruby/Rails, Go, React, Redux, MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, and Elasticsearch. Check out our Engineering Blog for more.
What You'll Be Doing
- Designing, implementing and optimizing products and services used by millions of users.
- Turning product plans into code in close collaboration with product managers, designers, and frontend web and mobile developers.
- Building highly scalable API services in Ruby and Go.
- Helping to design and maintain the 500px systems infrastructure.
- Becoming intimately familiar with our Ruby on Rails & Go applications, and forming an opinion about how to debug and improve them.
- Collaborating with developers across multiple teams and tech stacks.
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- A positive attitude with healthy doses of “get shit done” and intellectual curiosity.
- Experience shipping software at scale, with a product-focused mindset
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails, or similar web frameworks like Django and Express.
- Familiarity with MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Memcached, and Elasticsearch.
- A solid understanding of fundamental web technologies including HTTP and RESTful services
- Solving interesting technical problems that impact millions of users.
- Working with highly talented technical colleagues in a startup environment.
- Competitive salaries and flexible hours.
- Your choice of computer.
- Great health and dental benefits.
- Catered lunches and some of Toronto's best coffees and teas.
Our Interview Process
- Phone screen: <1hr conversation with a hiring manager/tech lead.
- Coding challenge: We'll ask you to write some code, and then share it with us to review.
- In-person interviews: 3-5 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to source candidates broadly, and reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.