500px is an online community for sharing, discovery, buying, and selling of high-quality photography. Every month, millions of people use our website and mobile apps from around the world to find the world’s most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we ship and love what we do. Our engineering culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, and getting stuff done.
Our technology stack includes: React, Redux, ES6, Ruby on Rails, Python, Go, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, and various Amazon AWS services. Check out our Engineering Blog for more.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who can lead the web and mobile developers, and bring the 500px platform to the next level of scale, speed, and user experience.
- Recruit, lead and mentor the web and mobile teams to design, implement, and optimize applications, to support 500px business objectives and initiatives.
- Accountable for ensuring delivery of products and features across web and mobile applications against the product and engineering roadmaps and set timelines.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the existing architecture and major components of web/mobile applications.
- Estimate project workloads under relatively vague business/product requirements, and identify potential project risks and offer solutions or walk-arounds.
- Identify major technical debts that would hurt the product experience externally or reduce the team efficiency internally, and prioritize them according to their business impacts.
- Collaborate with product owners and senior team members to plan the technical roadmap to fulfill product requirements and address outstanding tech debts, with the key objective of timely delivery of projects in a cross-team setup.
- Collaborate with other functional team leads, including product, marketing, and design departments to drive consensus and ensure alignment on the product roadmap and delivery schedules. Address issues in the processes and workflows to increase team productivity.
- Work closely with executive team to conduct budget planning, ROI analysis, and project prioritization.
- Participate in executive meetings with senior leadership to share the progress of projects in the planned roadmap, raise concerns that could potentially affect business, and develop solutions.
- Develop reports, dashboards and key tools for tracking KPIs and critical milestones; provide summary of status and tracking against established timelines and KPIs on a regular basis to key stakeholders across the business line and senior leadership team.
- Communicate the main business goals and product vision to team members to ensure team alignment.
- Build quality engineering teams through hiring, personal development events, and other activities.
- Evaluate individual performance and conduct regular 1-1s to recognize each individual’s achievements, discuss areas of improvements, and help engineers develop career growth plans.
The ideal candidates will have:
- Bachelor degree or above in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- 5+ years combined experience on writing code
- 3+ years management experience delivering highly successful and innovative technology products.
- Complete comfort and familiarity with software development tools (git, Github, bug tracking), *nix environments;
- Demonstrated experience in managing web and/or mobile product delivery from end-to-end, using lean startup and agile principles.
- Good architectural sense and a passion for high quality code, honed by experience;
- Grit: when the need arises you are willing to work through messy details with your team to achieve success; you persevere when others fall away.
- A bias towards action: the ability to cut through any issue, identify the salient points, and rally a team around addressing them
- High standards: for yourself, your work, and your colleagues
- Exceptional communication skills
- Track record of balancing making decisions using data vs creative vision
You'll get bonus points for:
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, and even more bonus points for experience beyond just EC2 and S3.
- Experience with React/Redux, Ruby on Rails, Python, or Go.
- Experience with monitoring systems like Datadog, New Relic, or Fabric.
- Experience with CDNs and network caching topologies.
- A love of photography.
- Interesting technical challenges
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible hours
- Catered lunches and snacks
- Great health and dental benefits
- Many professional development opportunities
Our interview process is straightforward:
- We give you a call and chat about some basic stuff.
- You drop by our office and show us stuff you worked on in the past and demonstrate your awesome skills.
- You are presented with an offer.
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.