At its core, 500px is a community of passionate photographers. As a company, our mission is to build a platform that enables and rewards community’s visual creativity. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find, share, and get rewarded for the world’s most inspiring photography.
As an associate data scientist you will bring our understanding of our community to the next level and help us move forward confidently with data-informed decisions.
- Work closely with the product, marketing and design teams to define and answer business questions in a measurable and actionable manner
- Help your cross-functional team with data reports and data discovery by optimizing self-serve BI solutions and providing SQL support
- Develop data collection plans and ensure the integrity of data collected
- Perform exploratory data analysis to uncover patterns of user features and activities
- Communicate and distribute data insights
The successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor's or Master’s degree in statistics, computer science, math, physics, or a related quantitative field.
- Expert knowledge of statistical sciences: statistical modelling and data mining.
- Expert knowledge of MySQL and/or PostgreSQL.
- Hands-on experience with Python and/or R.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Empathy for your users and teammates.
You'll get bonus points for:
- A love of photography and familiarity with the 500px platform
- Knowledge of advanced data analysis topics such as: causal inferences, data simulation, or correlated data analysis (e.g., survival analysis, longitudinal analysis, time series analysis and forecasting)
- Working experience with python libraries for data wrangling, visualization, mining and modelling (e.g., Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Statsmodels, SciKit-Learn, NLTK)
- Working experience with R packages for data wrangling, visualization and modelling (e.g., reshape2, dplyr, stringr, lubridate, ggplot2, car, forecast, randomforeset, Caret, survival)
- Knowledge of business intelligence such as SaaS metrics, time series forecasting, or pricing analysis
- Knowledge of data warehousing and ETL
- Experience with web scraping
- Knowledge of NoSQL (MongoDB)
- Interesting technical challenges
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible hours
- Catered lunches and some of Toronto's best coffees and teas
- Great health and dental benefits
- Many professional development opportunities
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.